Monday, September 16, 2013

Machines That Think

There is three points in the article "Machines That Think" that is intriguing to me. Those three points are; artificial intelligence is used for cancer research, artificial intelligence has been used to create a robot that paints, and lastly artificial intelligence has been used in cars.

Artificial intelligence being used for cancer research to me is not always the best way to go about things, because the cancer patient might have developed a new cancerous cell that doctors in the past might not have been exposed to, therefore neither would the robot, since the robot is being programmed with past cases of caner diagnostics.

Although on the other hand, this robot might actually be a good thing for cancer research, because the robot will be able to help a cancer diagnostician determine how to treat the cancer patient quickly and more effectively. Therefore, I am not completely sure if I am for or against artificial intelligence and cancer research.

Artificial intelligence being used with art is something that I do not think is a "good" use of machinery, although some scientists might find it a great discovery to create a robot that can paint. I personally just do not see what a robot that can paint would do to better the future. Instead it will just make it harder on true artists that have put hard work into their masterpieces, because more people would be more prone to purchase or follow a robot's art work than they would a human's art work. So, I do not agree with the robot that paints.

Lastly, cars and artificial intelligence is another point in the article that I do not agree with too much. With the cars being able to drive themselves it makes me a little worried, because there is so many things that can happen. The programming might get a default and then the car might wreck, hurting somebody. There is just so many things that can go badly wrong with programming in any machinery that I would be leery to own or to use a Google car.

The one thing in the whole article that I am most excited about is artificial intelligence being used in cancer research, because that is something that I feel can benefit not only one person, but can also benefit the entire world, because this robot is helping not even cancer patients but it is helping cancer diagnosticians treat their patients. Therefore, I think that this is the one thing that stood out to me in the article, it does have it's pros and cons, but it is the one thing that I would probably give a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment